Ford Four

Ford Four

12/23/07

My Husband!

Well, as if Christmas wasn't hectic enough, this year has had some added craziness. I got the bright idea to save money on Christmas by making some homemade presents. (this is something we've talked about since we first got married and finally decided to put it into practice this year.) It was going really well too. I made several things already and Jeff had three projects left to do as of Friday morning. I had just told our director the night before how much stress it had saved us, not having to fight the crowds and all the shopping stress. Well, to the point, I guess. Friday morning, Jeff started his projects. He was making little wooden blocks for Declan and Alyssa (our niece). Mom and I were getting ready for the Bailey family Christmas, which means we were cleaning! I had just started lunch when Jeff came to the door and called my name. I knew by the sound of his voice something wasn't right, then he yelled at me to hurry and get there before Addy. Then I heard mom's reaction and she grabbed Addy and carried her away. As Jeff was cutting a piece of the board got stuck and "kicked" back. (i don't really know what that means) What I do know, if that Jeff's hand slipped and he cut his hand all the way to the bone. Thankfully, he only nicked the bone and didn't cut off his whole thumb. He had surgery and they were able to reattach the muscles and tendon that he cut. He had also cut a nerve and got a couple other fingers and the artery in his pinkie. We didn't realize about the pinkie and other fingers until they did surgery. In all of this, I've learned a few things about my husband and my self. As for Jeff: his laid back ways extend farther than I could have ever imagined! He has a tolerance for pain that I never knew, either. Before, I only thought, he was a person that required no sleep. Now, I know its true. What person has surgery, is on morphine, and stays up most the night watching TV? I'm in awe. Although, I do believe the medication has heightened his "puniness" if that's possible. As for me: I've learned that no amount of first aid training prepares you for finding your husband at the front door spraying blood everywhere. Yep, it all went out the window, except to put pressure on it, which I made him do, so that I could drive. I never realized I could drive so fast barefoot! (thank goodness mom thought to grab my shoes before we left) I just grabbed Jeff and the keys and took off. I also learned that, in an emergency, I can go to town in my pajama pants and dress shoes...at least they weren't really dressy...and not care. I learned some things about my babies too. Edana was scared of course, but she handled it well. She was excited that Jeff had a band-aid from his i.v. and a little more timid than I'd have thought. Aidan's reaction made me proud. Mom said he just climbed on the couch, folded his hand, bowed his head and started praying. (its times like that when you know you're raising your kids to think right) Dec had no clue what was going on, so he was spared in trauma. Thank you Jesus! Well, needless to say, Dec isn't getting blocks for Christmas and I've got some last minute shopping to do. Thank God I have a husband to do it with! and he has all ten fingers! Things could have been so much worse. God protected him! (I know some would question why he didn't keep it from happening at all. I don't know the answer to that. However, I do know that all things work for good and He can bring good out of this bad.) He is awesome and I'm so thankful I have the kind of relationship with Him that in a time of crisis, I have peace. Not once did I have to question who was in control or how it would all turn out. God is great! I'll spare anyone pictures this post! Have a Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh, come on! Pictures would be cool!
I'm glad Jeff is ok! I love him and I'm so thankful that God brought him to our family!
Can't wait to see you all!

Jessica said...

Oh Mandee!!! That is just horrible! I'm so glad he is okay!! Can we do anything for you? He is in our prayers and I am so thankful it is not a worse injury. Don't give up on the homemade gifts- just stick to paper and scissors next time! : ) We love you!

Brittney said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you guys! I'm sure it's especially hard around the holidays, and when you're pregnant! Glad to hear he's doing ok!!

Jessica said...

How is Jeff? Good Christmas?

Gary and Kellye said...

Mandee! This is Kellye (Gabbard) Hamblen from high school! I found your blog via a link from Brittany's blog. I'm so sorry to hear about the Christmas accident, but it sounds like everything went as well as can be expected. I hope recovery is going well!